Whole Wheat Apple Muffins
From King Arthur Flour
(With Adaptations from the Smitten Kitchen)
1. Preheat the oven to 450F.
2. Grease and flour 12-18 (the original recipe is for 12 but I got 18) muffin cups or line with muffin liners and set aside.
3.Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and add the granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. Beat until fluffy.
5. Add the egg and mix well; stop once to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl
6.Mix in the buttermilk gently. (If you over-mix, the buttermilk will cause the mixture to curdle.)
7. Stir in the dry ingredients
8. Fold in the apple chunks.
9. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, sprinkling the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar on top.
10. Bake for 10 minutes, turn the heat down to 400°F, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.