Monday, April 19, 2010

German Pancakes with Sauteed Apples



I like to think of myself as partially German... which I am (but only about 1/4). Does that count??? I like like to think I am Jewish (as does my husband and my parents) which I am NOT, as in at all... Oh well. :) Either way, when I saw a recipe for "German Pancakes" although some refer to them at "Dutch Babies" I felt like I was obligated to make them. I mean, I am German, right??? Partially??? German Pancakes are large pie crust almost pancakes (at least in this case) and can be topped with numerous different toppings. The original recipe suggested lemon slices and powdered sugar, Deb from Smitten Kitchen where I found the recipe suggested fresh berries and maple syrup. Since I did not have any berries or syrup on hand I raged my fridge and found a couple of apples. PERFECT, I thought.... what could be more German than something with apples in/on it??? So I sauteed them in some brown sugar and topped my pancakes with them. The combination was wonderful. The pancake itself was not your regular pancake. It was much more of an "omelette" than of a "batter" pancake.... I mean 4 eggs to 2/3 cup flour... Either way, I thought it tasted great. What I loved best about it was that it was something different. Not pancakes (although we love pancakes) nor an omelette (which we love too). Either way, try it. Let me know what you think.
German Pancakes
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

This recipe makes two 9-inch pancakes.
You will need:
4 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup flour, sifted
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons soft butter
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2.Dump the eggs into the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix until light yellow in color. (You can also use a blender for this batter)
3. In the meantime grease two 9inch cake pans. Grease well....
4. When the eggs are done beating, add in the remaining ingredients.
......... The recipe did not call for melted butter, just softened and I had clumps of butter in the batter (which weren't a big deal as they melted in the oven, but you could also melt the butter ahead of time and then add it to the batter or even better instead of "buttering" the cake pans pour a little melted butter in the pans and then pour the batter over the butter. Have I confused you enough???



5. Now, pour half the batter into one cake pan and half into the other. Because I have a little OCD (not really...) I poured the batter first into a measuring cup and then that way I made sure it was split evenly between the cake pans.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes at 400F, after 20 minutes turn the heat down to 350F and bake an additional 10 minutes.
7. In the meantime, I made sauteed apples to top the pancakes with. If topping with something else, ignore steps 7-12.

If using sauteed apples as a topping you will need:
2 Apples
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
cinnamon (optional)

.... First, I took two Granny Smith apples, because it is what I had, and peeled and cored them. Then I sliced them into think wedges.
8. Melt about 3 tablespoons unsalted butter on medium heat in a 10 inch skillet....

8. Add in the apple slices and saute over medium heat stirring constantly for about 10 minutes or until tender and beginning to change color.9. In the meantime, take 1 tablespoon cornstarch and dissolve it in 1/2 cup cold water. Set aside.
And.. in the meantime, without opening your oven show your toddler what kind of fun shaped pancake we will soon be eating. Ours was very amusing.

... Back to real world... and the apple slices.... They should be starting to smell yummy and get some golden flavor on them.
10. When the apples have started to change color, pour in the cornstarch/water mixture and stir into the apples.
11. Now, add about 1/4 cup brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon (if using). Let them get acquainted.
12. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Turn off the heat and wait for the pancakes to be finished baking.
Mmmmm..... I could eat this right out of the skillet or with some ice cream.....


When your pancakes are done, slide them onto a dinner plate.....

..... and top with those yummy apple slices, or whatever else you chose. I also sprinkled with powdered sugar..... just to make it fancy.
Oh and, try to keep your husband from devouring them while you are still taking photos. :)


2 comments :