Saturday, March 27, 2010

Chicken Parmiagana

Today I am going to share with you a very special recipe... Why it's special, I don't know except that my husband and I both Looooooooooooove this chicken. There are millions of recipes out there for Chicken Parmesan, but I think I like mine better. :) I know.... I know...... what you are thinking. (Actually I don't.) Anyways, make this, you won't regret it. Also, I used to always make Chicken Parm with regular seasoned breadcrumbs, and it's yummy. Now, I make it with Panko breadcrumbs which are Japanese style breadcrumbs. They are light and airy, unlike regular breadcrumbs. Panko breadcrumbs used to be hard to find but now they are available in almost any grocery store. Either way, you can make this recipe with either kind of breadcrumbs. Also, most people fry the chicken prior to adding the pasta sauce and cheese, I like to brush it with butter (because butter makes EVERYTHING taste better, right?) and stick it in the oven. This way the chicken isn't as fatty and I don't have to deal with frying anything.

Chicken Parmiagana
You will need:
*3 large (or 6 small) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
*2 eggs beaten with a splash of milk
*1/2 cup flour
*1 cup Panko breadcrumbs (regular can be substituted)
*1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
*1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
*1/2 cup your favorite tomato or marinara sauce
*Salt and Pepper to taste

and NOT IN PIC
*ABOUT 6 TBSP. MELTED UNSALTED BUTTER

1. Rinse the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.

2. Now, if you have large chicken breasts, slice them in half. With a mallet or rolling pin pound each piece of chicken in between two pieces of waxed paper or in a plastic bag. About 1/2in. thickness.
*** You don't want to pound too hard and make the chicken super thin.... you also don't want thick pieces.

3. Combine the grated Parmesan with the breadcrumbs.

3a. You should now build an assembly line and have ready your pounded chicken, and 3 bowls with the following: the cheese/breadcrumb mixture, egg mixture and flour.

3b. Now you can preheat your oven to 375F

4. Before starting to coat the chicken, I lightly sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken pieces. I also sprinkle some salt and pepper into the egg mixture. (If using seasoned breadcrumbs which might already be a little salty, take care to not over salt.)

5. Ok, now, take a piece of chicken and coat both sides in flour.

6. Now coat each side of the floured chicken piece in the egg mixture.

7. Now b/c I am a loser.. I forgot to take a pic.... but coat each side in the breadcrumb mixture. As you are done with each one, lay them on a baking sheet lined with foil and greased.
8. Now take that melted butter and GENTLY, listen to me when I say GENTLY with a brush PAT NOT RUB the butter onto each piece of chicken to coat the top. You can also use a spoon and evenly pour the butter on top.

9. When you have patted the chicken with butter, you can now bake it at 375F for about 25 minutes or until golden and crisp and juices run clear. Don't turn your oven off just yet.
10. After about 25 minutes take out the chicken and spoon some sauce over it. I had some herb marinara on the fridge. Use whatever kind of pasta/tomato sauce you would like.

11. It is now time for that Mozzarella cheese. Evenly sprinkle it on top of the sauce.
12. Stick your pan back the oven for about 5-7 minutes or until the cheese melts.
And that for you my friends is my very special CHICKEN PARMIGIANA! I hope you enjoy it.




3 comments :

  1. I love chicken parmesan!
    I haven't tried it with panko though so we'll c...
    I like baking the chicken to, but I like it being crispy so I still fry it just a little...
    Anyway good recipe :D
    -Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning to try this recipe next week. Looks tasty. I have never tried the bake method with the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alla, thanks for the recipe. Love it, just made it today and it ws very delicious, crispy, soft, and juicy in the same time. Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete