7 oz (200 g) unsalted butter, cold
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1/2 tablespoon plain yogurt or sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
14 oz (400 g) unsalted farmer cheese or ricotta cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To prepare the crumbs:
1. Using the coarse side of a box grater, grate the cold butter into a mixing bowl.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F. In a small cup, dissolve baking soda in plain yogurt or sour cream and add to the mixing bowl with butter. Add the flour and sugar to the same bowl.
3 . Using a fork, gently cut into the mixture, until you obtain crumbs that are the size of chickpeas (do not use a mixer!). Set aside.
4.To make the filling; in a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling together and stir until well blended.
5. Grease the bottom of a 9x11 baking pan or casserole dish.
6. Now, divide the crust crumbs in half and spread the first half of the dough into the greased baking pan. Do not press down.
7. Take the prepared filling and spread it above the crumbs in the pan.
8. Gently and evenly sprinkle the second half of the crumbs into the filling.
9. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.