Inna, a very good friend of mine, introduced me to Ina Garten and her Barefoot Contessa Recipe books. For that, I am thankful. :) Although someone (hmhm...) once claimed that I steal Inna's recipes, she herself said that they are really Ina Garten's and not her own. Therefore I am sharing with you a recipe of Ina's that I came across and loved. I know what you are thinking.... mashed potatoes??? But, no, these are not JUST mashed potatoes. These are mashed potatoes with the skins and which have cheese and half/half in them. Those two ingredients are what I believe make this dish so rich in flavor. When I make this for home I use 1/2 of each ingredient. If you are cooking for 4-6 you would probably want to double what I have posted or follow the original recipe. So here they are.... Parmesan Smashed Potatoes for you.
Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa
Here is what you will need:
1 1/2 lbs. new red potatoes (which isn't in the pic, my bad...)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 stick (4 tbsp.) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon of salt in a 4-quart saucepan and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer covered for 25 to 35 minutes, until completely tender. Drain
2. In a small saucepan, heat the half-and-half and butter.
3. Put the potatoes into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix the potatoes for a few seconds on low speed, to break them up.
4. Slowly add the hot cream and butter to the potatoes, mixing on the lowest speed (the last quarter of the cream should be folded in by hand).
5. Fold in the sour cream.6. Fold in the Parmesan cheese, the remaining salt, and pepper; taste for seasoning
7. If you feel as the potatoes are too thick, use more cream and melted butter. (Or you can just splash in some half and half or milk). Serve warm.*
***You can also reheat the potatoes by putting them in an oven safe dish and sprinkling some more grated Parmesan cheese on top. Then bake them at 350F for 20-25 minutes.