Friday, February 5, 2010

Yummy... Brownies....





So... the other day I made brownies. I bake a lot of pastries and cakes but trust me not, I DO NOT, repeat DO NOT ever make brownies. Cheesecake on the other hand is my weakness. Well when I found these brownies and realized that they had a cream cheese swirl on top... I knew that I just had to make them. Since my husband does not eat brownies, I also knew what was comming... I would be left at home alone with these brownies. I also knew that the next day I would be left home alone with the scale. Oh well.... Since these were adapted from Cooking Light, December 2007 .... they really are considered brownies on the healthier scheme of things. Now.... Do I believe that? Maybe if I keep telling myself that I will.... Either way, try them. I promise, you will not regret it. In case you do, call me and I will pick them up :)

Cream Cheese Swirled Brownies

Thanks to Farida from

AZ Cookbook


(Picture from AZ Cookbook)

Makes approximately 22 brownies (of 1/2 which I ate )

If you want moist and fudgy brownies, you must watch carefully and make sure to not overbake. It is almost better to slightly underbake them to get that "fudgy" effect then to overbake them and get hard and crumbly brownies. Also, like I did, you can use the whole milk and cream cheese to substitute for the "light" food products which might not necessarily give you a richer taste but if that is what is in the fridge, use it.
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
2 large eggs
Cooking spray
1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1 large egg white

Preheat oven to 350F. 2.

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Place butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at high for 45 seconds or until melted, stirring once.

Combine milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and eggs, stirring well with a whisk.

Add chocolate mixture and milk mixture to flour mixture, then beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Spoon batter evenly into a 13 X 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.

Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, cheese, and egg white in a medium bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended using clean, dry beaters. Drizzle cream cheese mixture evenly over chocolate mixture. Swirl batters together using the tip of a knife.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until batter begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares and of course ENJOY with a glass full of milk.

No comments :

Post a Comment